Monday, July 7, 2014

How to create Evernotes notes from incoming Outlook email automatically

My RTM license ended. I made analysis and understood that I don`t need such Pro option as sync with Outlook tasks, but need to see my tasks on android device. So, I decide to use free Evernote instead of RTM.

Evernote has similar widget as RTM to show some of notes on Android phone screen, but you need to be online for this. I`m online almost every time.

One of my tasks source are emails from English teacher with current homework. To convert email to Evernote notes see Inbox Hero: Email Into Evernote. I need sending email task not to default notebook, but to specific. For this goal you need to modify email subject before sending it to Evernote address.

The problem is that how to automatically change subject for redirecting emails by Outlook.

You can not do this by Outlook rules itself, but you can create rule that forward email to some Outlook VBA script. I never programmed for Outlook, but for experienced IT worker it`s not a problem to solve this problem. Here a some intro:  Getting Started with Outlook VBA.
And here is my script:

Sub RedirectToEvernote(Item As Outlook.MailItem)
    Dim objMsg As MailItem
    Set objMsg = Application.CreateItem(olMailItem)
    objMsg.Body = Item.Body
    objMsg.Subject = Item.Subject & " @"
    objMsg.Recipients.Add ("")
    objMsg.Send
End S
ub
Tip: to switch on this rule with script working automatically you need to  take Outlook running and set your Outlook Macro Security to "Enable all macros". Sometimes its dangerous but only you can choose between comfort and security.

No comments:

Post a Comment