Friday, March 10, 2017

Working comfortable on several git branches simultaneously with ComEmu

As a automation QA engineer I works on different tickets. For example, for some new feature I need to create new autotest, another test is needed to be re-run because developer probably fixed bugs, and it yet another test must be adapted due to test data changed due to service improvements. Some times (and very often - every day)  you need to do all this simultaneously.



I use git as VCS. I think it is standard de facto now (except googlers of course ;) ).

1) Git has such feature as git-worktree  - it allows you to manage multiple working trees attached to the same repository.

2) But for me the simpler - the best and I use another more simple approach: I have several directories with different branches of the same repository. One branch - one ticket. 

branch-123 in c:\repository1
branch-ZXY in c:\repositoryTWO 
branch-Qw2 in  in c:\repositoryV3

Usually there are so much input information goes to my head during the day that I forget to what directory what branch binded.

I set up my favorite console program ComEmu to say me this automatically:



So when I start ConEmu and press 1, 2, 3 (each key bound to another directory) - I have tree opened console window in needed folder and with git branch information.

No comments:

Post a Comment